By Kim Kerr-Dearsley
Collingwood and The Blue Mountains are getting ready for the arrival of an important Women’s Wellness Conference event.
Sue Kelly knows what it’s like to be sexy after 60. Which is just one of the reasons the leading Canadian author, speaker, and entrepreneur is bringing her 2019 Women’s Wellness Conference to Collingwood Ontario. And after two sold-out conferences in Muskoka, this event, she says, is sure to “hit your sweet spot”.
Kelly, who recently completed her book, Still Sexy After Sixty: Seven Secrets to Finding Life’s Sweet Spot, met with LuxuryCollingwood recently to share her excitement in bringing the conference to Georgian Bay on November 1.
“Both the book and the conference are about a lot more than sex,” she says. “It’s about being informed, inspired, and about life’s next great adventure. And perhaps even more importantly, it’s all about attitude.”
A retired Registered Nurse who resides in Gravenhurst Ontario, Kelly had herself struggled with the idea of growing older as she approached 60.
“Sixty sounded old, but I didn’t feel old,” she confides. “Yet society was telling me that I was over-the-hill. I want to disrupt the conversation about aging and redefine the later years with passion and fulfilment.”
Speakers at the Women’s Wellness Conference Collingwood
The Women’s Wellness Conference is a fun and informative one-day event being held at the Georgian Bay Hotel in Collingwood on Friday, November 1, 2019. Ten speakers are lined up to address matters related to the body, mind and spirit, touching on important talking points including emotional, sexual, spiritual, financial, and physical health.
Keynote speaker and former Olympic skater Elizabeth Manley will kick off the event, speaking on ‘the power of stigma’. Manley has herself struggled with mental health issues, and openly shares what was really going on behind the scenes at the Calgary Winter Olympics in 1988. Other confirmed speakers include:
- Carole Bertuzzi – A noted emcee and entertainer, Bertuzzi has inspired and amused countless women across North America with her wit and wisdom
- Carolyn Vandyken – A physiotherapist, researcher, and educator, Huntsville-based Vandyken shares her 32 years’ experience as a clinician dealing with issues including pelvic health
- Jill Smith – A Senior Wealth Advisor and Portfolio Manager, Smith aims to empower women through proper financial planning
- Keri O’Driscoll – A Senior Advisor with Scotia Wealth Management, O’Driscoll will share unique strategies to minimize estate taxes, leave an inheritance, and meet philanthropic goals
- Tracy Fleischmann – A Collingwood-based lawyer, Fleischmann will tackle the important areas of wills and estate planning
- Mary Kocher – Curious about cannabis? Public health nurse Mary Kocher has the answers to your questions
- Michelle Emson – Accomplished public speaker, human rights activist, LGBTI advocate, and filmmaker, Emson will share her transgender journey with attendees
- MaureenBasnicki – The Founding Director of the Canadian Coalition Against Terror shares her story and aims to raise awareness of the importance of communities
- Christine Cowley – Author, writing coach, and radio host, Cowley challenges attendees to experiment with exploring and harnessing the power of secrets
Food, Fun, Cocktails and Giveaways
Admission for this must-attend day-long event is $175 and also includes a variety of culinary treats, swag bags and giveaways, door prizes, a cocktail party with complimentary wine, beer, cider, and hors d’oeuvres. A vendors marketplace will also be located on the premises.
Confirmed vendors include:
- ScotiaMcLeod – Sharpe-Way Group
- The Best You
- Canopy Growth
- Tyros BioPharma
- Pampered Chef
- Aterra Wines Canada
- The Great Canadian Cider Company
- My Friend’s House
- Christine Cowley, Legacy Writing Partners
- The National Day of Service Canada
- Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
- Twinkle Bulbs
- Serendipity Candles
- Hear Well Be Well
- Indulgence Cashmere
- Design North Inc
- Mary Gair Fine Art
Attendees will also receive a complimentary copy of Kelly’s newly released book, Still Sexy After Sixty.
“We’re already seeing a great deal of interest for this important upcoming event in Collingwood,” says Kelly. “So we hope women will mark the date on their calendars, call their sisters, girlfriends, and former classmates, and make a ladies’ day of it. After all, while we might have been hard rockers, we’re certainly not in the rocking chair yet!”
A firm believer in philanthropy and giving back to local communities, Kelly has selected My Friend’s House in Collingwood, a haven for abused women and their children, as this year’s charity partner.
For more information and tickets to the 2019 Women’s Wellness Conference Collingwood and what promises to be one of the top things to do in the area this Fall, visit the event website at www.stillsexyafter60.com. Tickets can also be purchased in person from the Box Office of the Collingwood Theatre.
Contributor Kim Kerr-Dearsley is a frequent visitor to Collingwood and The Blue Mountains.